Monday, February 18, 2013

Props

"A man, though wise, should never be ashamed of learning more, and must unbend his mind."
c. 441 B.C.

This week we continue our discussion of Theater setting and the use of props.
Here are a few student pieces:

Setting, Assignment #2

A Surprise Party
by Hayley Ham

Daytime. A living room.
A leather sofa and a Victorian lamp.
Lights are dim. Lavender, silk curtains are closed.
Room is filled with balloons and decorations. 

Prop Assignment:
Two or more characters
One character has a prop that is an unknown item to the other/s.
The character must explain the prop.

Computers
by Sophia Kalyuzhnaya

Reberta
How you say, 'use dictionary'?

Marco
Umm, we don't have one but you can use the computer.

Reberta
What is this computer?

Marco
A monitor with applications... and, access to the internet? Duh!

Reberta
How you say, Internet?

Marco
You just said it.

Reberta
What is this internet you speak of?

Marco
What? All countries use it.

Reberta
I have not heard of such things before.

Marco
OH MY GOSH! I'm just filling in for my cousin and I will not put up with French women or complicated customers!

Reberta
I, how you say, understand?

Marco
Ugh, I am so done.
(Marco leaves stage)

Reberta
Au revoir.
(takes iPhone out of purse and begins typing)


The Blank Canvas
by Matthew Mallon

An old warehouse.

Character 1
Good morning, my good sir.

Character 2
Yes, yes, and a good morning to you.

Character 1
Thank you. Why are you here?

Character 2
Well, I just wanted to talk with you,

Character 1
(interrupts) 
Yes, yes.

Character 2
and, I was wondering, why is there a blank canvas here, stretched and primed and,

Character 1
(again, interrupting)
oh yes, you've noticed my work.

Character 2
Your work, oh yes, your work... is it supposed to be a blank canvas?

Character 1
Yes, yes. It is an ideology.

Character 2
An ideology?

Character 1
Yes, yes. It represents Hope and Happiness, but not in that way... in the way that light is hope and if you live your life blinded by its light you can't see the despair of darkness that is necessary for life to live, the light will surely blind you but when you live in the darkness you will go blind but be prepared for the light and you won't be blinded.

Character 2
Oh, I see.


Squeek
by Ella Rosenberg

John
I'm new to this planet and way of life, but I think I understand almost everything.

Martha
Good. What don't you understand?

John
The function of a rubber duck.

Martha
(laughs)
Are you joking?

John
I'm quite serious. What do you use a rubber duck for?

Martha
Well, it's quite simple... you...

John
You what?

Martha
Well...umm... it's squeaky, and...fun.

John
Humans. You are strange creatures. So very odd.

Martha
You'll get used to it.


Wet
by Emma Carter

Kat- an alien, just arrived to Earth
Kyle- a human

Kyle
You want some water, Kat?

Kat
What's that?

Kyle
What do you mean, 'What's that?!'

Kat
You asked if I wanted water, I don't know what that is.

Kyle
This is unbelievable...

Kat
Explain it to me, what's it like?

Kyle
Wow... I've never had to explain water before. First off, it's a clear liquid, used for an endless amount of things here on Earth.

Kat
Like what?

Kyle
Well, everyone drinks it. You need it here to live.

Kat
What does it taste like?

Kyle
It doesn't taste like anything. It just feels wet in your mouth.

Kat
What does 'wet' mean?

Kyle
Are you telling me you don't have liquid where you come from?

Kat
I guess not. I've never heard any of these words before... wet, water, liquid. We don't have these things.

Kyle
I have no words... there's nothing really nothing like it.



and a poem, 
by Elizabeth Hemingway

Today I'm inspired
To let go
To hold on
To stop and smell the roses
To give up always knowing
Because there are no shortcuts to any place worth going

Today I'm inspired
To laugh like it's the last thing
To choose my friends who love insanity
To never stay with someone
Who treats you like you're ordinary

Today I'm inspired
To counter all the obstacles
To get through all the pain
Life isn't about braving the storm
Its about dancing in the rain

Today I'm inspired
To remember I'll never be perfect
I'll never be a princess
But that's okay I'd rather be the savior
Than a damsel in distress.










A parting thought:

"People write books they can't find on library shelves."
George Orwell


No comments:

Post a Comment